VE Day 1945 and sandwiches were the main order of the day during the street party celebrations, as was beer (that is, until it ran out in the pubs, well before the 10.30pm curfew!) But people wouldn’t have been celebrating the same as we do today. Wartime rationing meant sugar and butter were hard to come by, so this eggless fruitcakes would have been the next best thing!
1. Place the brown sugar, water, raisins, oil, cinnamon, and cloves in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil
2. Cook gently for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and let cool until the mixture is comfortably warm to your finger
3. While the mixture is cooling, preheat the oven to 180C / 350F
4. Grease and flour an 8×4-inch baking pan
5. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add them to the cooled sugar mixture, beating until no drifts of flour are visible and the batter is smooth. Then stir in the walnuts
6. Spread the mixture evenly in the baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes
7. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a rack to cool completely if you want to add a good glaze, save back bit of the hot spiced water and mix with icing sugar, a drop of vanilla, and a pinch salt. Glaze the cake while hot.
READY IN: 1hr SERVES: 15
Connect with us
View by date
On Wednesday, Rishi Sunak announced a Stamp Duty Holiday until March 2021. As part of the government’s plans to boost the economy, especially the property market, Sunak has increased the stamp duty threshold to £500,000 for property sales in England and Northern Ireland. This means anyone completing on a main residence under £500,000 from now …Read more...
With Wednesday’s announcement of a Stamp Duty Holiday, some of you have found yourself with an unexpected lump of extra money in your account. Rishi Sunak’s announcement on Wednesday has led to some of you having a nice lump of money in your account. Money you could use for DIY in your new home, a …Read more...
Chancellor Rishi Sunak yesterday announced a temporary holiday on stamp duty for property sales in England and Northern Ireland. As part of the government’s plans to boost the economy, especially the property market, Sunak yesterday announced a temporary holiday on stamp duty until next March starting from the 8th of July. In reality, what the …Read more...
We all need a good night’s sleep. In fact, according to the Sleep Council, an 18 to 65-year-old needs between seven and nine hours of sleep per night in order to properly recharge for the day ahead. So how do you get that good night’s sleep that you need? Mood Using aromatherapy is a good …Read more...
As the pandemic restrictions start to ease, now’s the time to hit The Great Outdoors to shake off that lockdown lethargy So, with the softening of the Government’s health warnings, now’s the time to start planning where to feel the sand between your toes, and relish the breeze soothing sunburnt skin in the UK this …Read more...